Jul 31, 2013

Editing Evolution

I posted this photo over a year ago. I wanted to see how much my editing has changed since then, I processed it again without looking at what I had done the first time, until after I was done. It may be hard to see at this scale, but it's a huge difference. Now I want to go back and redo them all, but that would take months. I also am trying a new method of doing HDRs. If any of you are familiar with luminance masks, that's what I'm doing now instead of combining them in Photomatix and then bringing them into Photoshop. It's a little more tricky, but you can get a much sharper image with a lot less noise, ghosting, halos, and chromatic aberration. I think once I get used to it, it may be faster also.
 
 
ORIGINAL PHOTO
 
 
EDITED OVER A YEAR AGO


RE-EDITED TODAY


6 comments:

  1. Deno, I have created luminosity masks and it is better by far. It should be it takes for ever. I find them most useful for getting rid of noise I then invert the mask and sharpen.
    It's all good fun. The latest version of Photomatix is much better than the earlier ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still trying to get the hang of it. It is slow for me right now, but I do like the results. I haven't tried it yet for the sharpening and noise reduction, but I watched a video where it was used and it was very affective.

      Delete
    2. Deno if you don't know press Ctrl+ Shift + 2. That gives a neutral grey mask then switch to channels and run a High Pass Filter. It's a whole new world is Photoshop. If you shoot RAW then it can take hours. If you print then use Find edges in your masks. It goes on and on which is great.
      So are the folk that tell us how to use it.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic revolution from the original photo - I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully in another year I'll be even better.

      Delete
  3. First thing....I need a larger monitor so I can look at all three at once...LOL I actually like them all - each for a different reason BUT, after looking at them at least 6 times, the third and most recent is my fave. It's very cool to go back and revisit old work to check progress. A great photo here!

    ReplyDelete